Friday, March 4, 2011

A Repost From Glenda Villena For Yahoo! Southeast Asia


Thia Megia enters 'American Idol' Final 13

By Glenda Villena, For Yahoo! Southeast Asia Thursday March 3, 2011 09:28 pm PST

Filipino-American Thia Megia has secured a spot in the "American Idol" Season 10 finals.

Thia was among the top 10 finalists the US audience voted to stay in the competition. The judges, Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, chose three of the thirteen finalists to remain.

The 15-year-old singer from Mountain House, California, captivated the judges with her rendition of Irene Cara's 1980 hit, "Out Here on My Own."

Steven said, "Sometimes a person's pitch can be so perfect, it doesn't matter what song they sing, and you just did that. I can't believe you're 15."

Jennifer added, "It was just so beautiful, it was a quiet moment in the middle of all these very big performances to come out there, stand still, sing with no music in the beginning and just captivate every single person in this room was really really special."

Finally Randy's comparison of Thia to the great Michael Jackson was jaw dropping.

"It's been said and it is definitely true that the mark of a great singer, (and) this is a singing competition, is the quality of the tone of the voice. You're tone, when we first heard it, reminded me so much of the late great Michael Jackson that I love. It's infectious in the first note you sang. So it doesn't matter what age you are. This is what hot singing is about."

Millions of "American Idol" viewers agreed with the judges' remarks by voting Thia to advance.

Thia, along with Casey Abrams, of Idyllwild, Calif., Haley Reinhard of Milwaukee, Jacob Lusk, of Compton, Calif., James Durbin of Santa Cruz, Calif., Karen Rodriguez, of New York City, Lauren Alaina, of Rossville, Ga., Paul McDonald, of Huntsville, AL., Pia Toscano, of Howard Beach, N.Y., and Scotty McCreery of Garner, N.C., made it to the next stage.

The judges voted three wild card entries, Ashthon Jones of Nashville, Naima Adedapo, of Milwaukee and Stefano Langone, of Kent, Wash. to also further compete in the finals.

The other Filipino American, Jun "Clint" Gamboa, who also made it to the top 24 American Idol hopefuls didn't make it to the final 13.

Photo courtesy of American Idol/Fox

+++

Glenda Villena is a showbiz writer and proud mommy blogger who enjoys sharing precious moments with daughter Magi.

2 comments:

Raynan said...

I hope Thia will win it, Dubbed as the Next Charice, kung titignan mo,may similarities sila ni Charice sa mukha hehehe. But voice wise, maganda talaga, I just hope she has more of a chance in winning AI than Jasmine Trias was.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Reynan,
I share with your hope and prayers that Thia will win and bring more honor for our country just like what Manny Pacquiao and Charice did. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you all always.

Followers

How do you want to see your blog reviewed, evaluated and rated as I see it? It's free!!! All that I request from you is a backlink from your blog to my blog by including my blog in your blogroll or enroll my blog in your subscriber or email feed. Aren't you curious how I will rate your blog as I see it?

To All Filipino Bloggers

May I invite you to join Filipinos Unite!!!. You can do so by commenting on my post or sending me an email containing your name, address, name of blog and its url. My email address is melalarilla@gmail.com. Your name, address, name of blog and its url will be included in the official registry of members posted permanently at my blog. Please join and be counted. Thank you so much. Mabuhay and God bless you and your loved ones.