Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Repost From Yahoo! Southeast Asia Editors

Viva Nazareno!

By Yahoo! Southeast Asia Editors – January 9th, 2011
600nppa_nazareno2

Photos by NPPA Images
For Yahoo! Southeast Asia

(UPDATE 2) Filipino Catholic devotees of the Black Nazarene join the feast day procession from Quirino Grandstand towards Quiapo Church in Manila on 09 January 2011. The Black Nazarene, a dark wooden sculpture of Jesus Christ, is believed to be miraculous by Filipinos and the annual feast of the Black Nazarene celebrated every January 09 is done with a traditional procession attended by thousands of barefoot devotees. (Jerome Ascano/NPPA Images)

In a report by the Associated Press, officials estimate that at least 300 people fainted or got sick during the prayer vigil prior to the procession.

“Several others were injured when barefoot devotees surged forward and trampled over iron railings to try to touch the 404-year-old image of Christ,” the report added.

The report quoted police as saying the crowd gathering at Rizal Park has reached a million as 3,500 policemen secure the event.

Reposted From Yahoo! Southeast Asia Editors

No comments:

Followers

How do you want to see your blog reviewed, evaluated and rated as I see it? It's free!!! All that I request from you is a backlink from your blog to my blog by including my blog in your blogroll or enroll my blog in your subscriber or email feed. Aren't you curious how I will rate your blog as I see it?

To All Filipino Bloggers

May I invite you to join Filipinos Unite!!!. You can do so by commenting on my post or sending me an email containing your name, address, name of blog and its url. My email address is melalarilla@gmail.com. Your name, address, name of blog and its url will be included in the official registry of members posted permanently at my blog. Please join and be counted. Thank you so much. Mabuhay and God bless you and your loved ones.