Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Repost From AFP

Filipina maid inherits millions from Singaporean employer

By Yahoo! Southeast Asia Editors – July 21st, 2010
Email Facebook Twitter Print
600ap_singapore

By Agence France Presse

A devoted Filipina maid inherited six million Singapore dollars (more than $4 million) from her late employer after more than 20 years of service, a newspaper report said Wednesday.

“I am the luckiest maid in Singapore, with or without the money,” the 47-year-old single woman — identified only by the pseudonym “Christine” — told the Straits Times in an interview.

The maid refused to be named in public for fear of possible threats to her life in the impoverished Philippines, where wealthy people have been kidnapped for ransom and some killed by their abductors.

The windfall, including cash and a luxury apartment near the Orchard Road shopping belt, came from the estate of her employer Quek Kai Miew, a medical doctor and philanthropist who died last year at 66.

The maid had also taken care of the doctor’s late mother, and was told that she would be a beneficiary of her employer’s will when it was drawn up in 2008.

“There were no secrets between us. I was not surprised at all when she told me how much I was going to get,” the maid recalled.

“Christine” was devastated when Quek died a year ago, as the two were inseparable, and temporarily moved in with the doctor’s nephew for solace.

“It was heartbreaking for me as I saw more years with Doctor Quek than with my own mother. I would break down every time I thought about her. I could not be by myself,” she said.

“I was always beside her. Wherever she went, I was with her.”

The maid, who is now applying for permanent residency in Singapore, said her newfound wealth had not changed her lifestyle.

“I do not really think much about the money I got. I just live my life as I did before, and not as a rich person,” the maid, dressed simply in a blouse and slacks with short-cropped hair, was quoted as saying.

“I am still who I was before. I cannot behave differently because I have money now. Even my Filipino maid friends here still treat me the same.”

Nearly 200,000 foreign maids, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, work in affluent Singapore, which has a population of five million.

Reposted From AFP


2 comments:

UMMA said...

WOw... She is so lucky indeed to end up getting a windfall or unexpected inheritance from an employer.

Some employer are generous to those people who really served their life in behalf of them. For me, the lady deserved it, if I have that kind of fortune I will surely share it to somebody who are worthy.

Fun family vacations
Bon Vivant
Mom Conversations
Simplify your Life

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Umma,
Yes, that Pinay is so lucky and blessed because her benefactress happened to be a philanthropist who fancied her faithful service to leave her a fortune in inheritance. She can live in comfort for the rest of her life. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you all always.

Followers

How do you want to see your blog reviewed, evaluated and rated as I see it? It's free!!! All that I request from you is a backlink from your blog to my blog by including my blog in your blogroll or enroll my blog in your subscriber or email feed. Aren't you curious how I will rate your blog as I see it?

To All Filipino Bloggers

May I invite you to join Filipinos Unite!!!. You can do so by commenting on my post or sending me an email containing your name, address, name of blog and its url. My email address is melalarilla@gmail.com. Your name, address, name of blog and its url will be included in the official registry of members posted permanently at my blog. Please join and be counted. Thank you so much. Mabuhay and God bless you and your loved ones.