Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Repost From AFP



Zeta-Jones 'furious' at late cancer diagnosis for Douglas

(From left) Kirk Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas are seen here in 2009. Zeta-Jones reportedly is 'furious' that doctors failed to diagnose her husband, Michael Douglas's, throat cancer earlier.

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - – Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones is "furious" that doctors failed to diagnose her husband, actor Michael Douglas's throat cancer earlier, she said in an interview published Thursday.

But Douglas himself, who this week revealed that his cancer was more advanced than previously thought, vowed to overcome the disease, telling People magazine: "I'll beat this."

Douglas, 65, only recently revealed his diagnosis when he returned to the United States from a family holiday. This week he said it was a stage four cancer, but that he had an 80 percent chance of beating it.

But British actress Zeta-Jones, who married Douglas in 2000, voiced anger that his chances of beating the cancer are reduced because it was only diagnosed three weeks ago.

He had spent months seeking a cause for persistent throat and ear pain, before a walnut-sized tumor was discovered on the base of his tongue in early August, the couple said.

"He sought every option and nothing was found. I knew something was up. He knew something was up," Zeta-Jones told the US weekly, adding: "It makes me furious they didn't detect it earlier."

Douglas was more philosophical about how soon he was diagnosed, saying: "Without having to blame anybody... these things sometimes just don't show up."

And he was upbeat about his chances of overcoming it. "I'm treating this as a curable disease," he said. "It's a fight. I'll beat this."

Douglas is a pillar of Hollywood, having starred in more than 40 films, including such hits as "Fatal Attraction" (1988), "Wall Street" (1988), "War of the Roses" (1990), "Basic Instinct" (1992) and "Traffic" (2001).

Douglas's latest film, the sequel to the 1987 box office hit "Wall Street" called "The Money Never Sleeps," directed by Oliver Stone, is due to hit movie theaters in the United States later this month.

Douglas has a son from an earlier marriage, Cameron Douglas, who was sentenced in April to five years in prison for drug-trafficking.

Reposted Form AFP

No comments:

Followers

How do you want to see your blog reviewed, evaluated and rated as I see it? It's free!!! All that I request from you is a backlink from your blog to my blog by including my blog in your blogroll or enroll my blog in your subscriber or email feed. Aren't you curious how I will rate your blog as I see it?

To All Filipino Bloggers

May I invite you to join Filipinos Unite!!!. You can do so by commenting on my post or sending me an email containing your name, address, name of blog and its url. My email address is melalarilla@gmail.com. Your name, address, name of blog and its url will be included in the official registry of members posted permanently at my blog. Please join and be counted. Thank you so much. Mabuhay and God bless you and your loved ones.